The Tesla card is unlocked from the Electro Valley (Arena 11). It is a single-target, medium-ranged defensive building with both moderate hitpoints and damage. When not attacking, the Tesla will retreat underground, invulnerable to any damage except an Earthquake. However, like any other building, its lifetime and hitpoints will still decrease. A Tesla card costs 4 Elixir to deploy.
- The Tesla can zap away some health from moderate hitpoint troops at a decent rate. It also deals moderate damage to higher hitpoint troops such as the Baby Dragon, and can also completely take out a Lava Hound and its pups without any assistance.
- The Tesla can defeat any unit with less health than Minions in one shot if they are of the same level, thus making it very effective against small hordes of troops.
- When it retreats underground, the Tesla is invulnerable to any damage-dealing spell except for Earthquake, and cannot be targeted by any troops. However, the retreat is not instant, enabling quick troops like Spear Goblins to get a hit off before it goes underground. The retreat can also be stopped with a Freeze spell, enabling the player to attack the Tesla at leisure.
- The Tesla can be frozen by a Freeze spell while underground, so it won't pop up when enemies are in range while the Freeze is active on it. This allows troops such as the Hog Rider to bypass a Tesla and head straight for the Crown Tower, as it can't be targeted while hidden underground.
- Although the Tesla has the same range as a Cannon, it can still target troops that would normally outrange it due to its ability to become invulnerable when not attacking, forcing them to come into its targeting range before they can target it. Thus, when using long-range units, the player should provoke the Tesla with another troop such as Skeletons first to prevent the long-range troop(s) from wandering into its range and being destroyed.
- The Tesla is very effective at distracting enemy building-targeting troops, such as the Giant and Hog Rider. By placing it in the middle of the player's part of the Arena (3 tiles from the bridge), the troops will target it instead of the Towers if it is not frozen. This placement will also pull regular troops to it.
- If the player only wants the Tesla to pull building-targeting troops, they should place it 1 more tile away from the river. The Tesla will still attack any troops that come close enough to the Princess Towers, but it will not tank any hits for them.
- A Hog Rider or Ram Rider placed at the edges of the arena will bypass a Tesla that is hidden whether it is placed 3 or 4 tiles from the river. A Tesla placed 2 tiles from the river will pull all Riders to it, but this placement makes it very easy to snipe at the bridge, by using a swarm to force the Tesla to pop up and tank its shots while a ranged troop damages it down. Another method is to simply push the Rider closer to the Tesla by deploying a grounded troop where it lands after it jumps across the edge, which will make Teslas placed 3 or 4 tiles away from the river pull them.
- Against building-targeting troops which are placed in such a way that they are staggered towards the center of the arena (e.g. a Golem placed behind the King's Tower), a Tesla reactively placed 4 tiles from the defending Princess Tower and 4 tiles away from the river can distract them. This is because the unit will walk closer to the inner side of the bridge (i.e. closer to the center of the arena), rather than the center or the outside. Although this is somewhat situational, it is more effective at separating a tank from its support units than the above middle placement, as the tank will have to walk slightly farther, and the Tesla will not draw the attention of other grounded troops.
- A Tesla can be interchanged with a Cannon or an Inferno Tower, depending on what the player is prioritizing in their deck. The Cannon costs 1 less Elixir, but doesn't target air troops, so it may be more efficient to have the Cannon if the player already has many air counters. The Inferno Tower costs 1 more Elixir and is extremely effective against high hitpoint units, but it is very volatile, being vulnerable to swarms and cards with a stun effect. If the player is not able to consistently eliminate these cards in a large push, the Tesla will allow the player to have more Elixir for other cards to damage down the support troops while also dealing more damage over its lifetime. The Inferno Tower is also a Rare card, so it will be harder to level up for use on the ladder.
- Unlike other buildings, the Tesla takes up a 2x2 space as opposed to a 3x3 space. This means that it can fit in the gap between a Princess Tower and the edge of the Arena.
- Its versatility against most types of troops makes it a good card for supporting siege buildings like X-Bow or Mortar from the player's side of the Arena. Generally, the Tesla should be placed beside and slightly behind the siege card so that it is protected by them while it damages down enemy units. Its lifetime is the second longest out of any defensive building, only outmatched by X-Bow, which can only target grounded units, so it is more beneficial to preserve its health for a future push.
- The Tesla was added with Clash Royale's soft launch on 4/1/16.
- On 9/2/16, the Chest Rewards & Card Balance Update increased the Tesla's damage by 7%.
- On 29/2/16, the March 2016 Update decreased the Tesla's hitpoints by 5%.
- On 23/3/16, a Balance Update decreased the Tesla's hit speed to 0.8 sec (from 0.7 sec) and its lifetime to 40 sec (from 60 sec).
- On 3/5/16, the May 2016 Update fixed the "range bug" and decreased the Tesla's range to 5.5 (from 6) but its effective range is unchanged.
- On 18/5/16, a Balance Update increased the Tesla's hitpoints by 5%.
- On 21/6/16, a Balance Update increased the Tesla's hitpoints by 8%.
- On 9/10/17, the October 2017 Update increased the Tesla's damage by 41% but decreased its hit speed to 1 sec (from 0.8 sec).
- On 20/6/18, the Summer Update moved the Arena to unlock the Tesla from P.E.K.K.A.'s Playhouse (Arena 4) to Electro Valley (Arena 11).
- On 6/8/18, a Balance Update decreased the Tesla's lifetime to 35 sec (from 40 sec) and its hit speed to 1.1 sec (from 1 sec).
- On 3/12/18, a Balance Update made the Tesla’s first attack faster.
- On 15/4/19, the card’s artwork was redesigned in an Update.
- On 2/3/20, a Balance Update allowed the Earthquake to affect the Tesla even if it is hidden.
- The Tesla's mechanics are similar to its counterpart in Clash of Clans, the level 1 Hidden Tesla which it resembles. However, in Clash of Clans, the Tesla does not retreat underground when it is not actively attacking; it simply remains above ground for the rest of the attack.
- The Tesla is the only defense that can be placed symmetrically.
- The Tesla is the smallest building in the game.
- It is named after the Tesla coil, a device invented by Nikola Tesla which can produce large amounts of AC current in frightening display. However, despite its name, the Tesla does not include the namesake device in Clash Royale.
- The Tesla is the only building which retreats underground when it finishes attacking.
- The word 'electrickery' is a play on words, and a reference to the Tesla's description in Clash of Clans.
- If the Tesla is about to retreat and the Freeze is used on it, the retreating sound effect will loop.
- The Tesla and the Inferno Tower are currently the only buildings that can directly hit air troops, though the Goblin Hut and Furnace can spawn troops that can hit air troops.
- The Tesla is the only Common Building that can hit air troops.
|4||1.1 sec||1 sec||35 sec||5.5||Air & Ground||Building||Common|
||Damage per second|