The Ice Wizard card is unlocked from the Frozen Peak (Arena 8) or a Legendary Chest. He is a medium-ranged troop with moderate hitpoints and low area damage. The Ice Wizard's attacks will slow his targets' movement and attack speed by 35%. His hair and eyes are blue, and he wears thick robes. An Ice Wizard card costs 3 Elixir to deploy.
- The Ice Wizard is best used defensively then translated into a counterattack as a support troop. Make the most of his slowing effect as he does very little damage.
- A Fireball will fully defeat an equally levelled Ice Wizard at a slight Elixir deficit. This may be valuable if another unit, like a Crown Tower, can also be hit.
- The Ice Wizard will only deal a few hundred damage to a Princess Tower alone, which can be prevented easily by the opponent for a good trade. The player should consider the amount of defensive value their Ice Wizard obtained; trying to support an Ice Wizard when it has not helped gain an Elixir lead can put the player in a bad spot.
- Despite dealing low area damage, the Ice Wizard is capable of taking out fragile swarms. However, without the assistance of a Crown Tower, he will be overwhelmed as his splash radius is otherwise negligible.
- The Ice Wizard is a powerful asset to both offense and defense as he significantly lowers the damage per second of enemy troops. The slowing effect is most noticeable against units with fast attack rates, such as the Inferno Tower and the Inferno Dragon. Under the slowdown effect, they both take about 1 extra second to reach maximum damage output.
- The Tornado is an iconic and effective synergy with the Ice Wizard. The Tornado can displace units and clump them up, such that the Ice Wizard's splash attack damages and slows down an entire group of enemies, helping the player's Crown Towers and units take out the push.
- A very powerful but risky defensive combo is the Ice Wizard and Wizard combo, given the condition that the opponent's push lacks ranged units. The Ice Wizard will slow down enemies, clumping them together for the Wizard to deal high amounts of area damage. If possible, the two should be placed some distance apart to mitigate potential spell value from the opponent, as spells like Poison or Fireball can fully take out the pair for a positive Elixir trade.
- A good position for an Ice Wizard is in the middle of the defender's side of the Arena as it maximizes the distance melee troops must travel. Any melee ranged troops that reach the Ice Wizard will be targeted by the defender's other Crown Tower. For example, an Ice Wizard in this position can counter a full squad of Barbarians and survive with a sliver of health.
- The Ice Wizard was added to the game on 29/2/16 with the March 2016 Update.
- On 23/3/16, a Balance Update increased the Ice Wizard's damage by 5%.
- On 3/5/16, the May 2016 Update removed the level 14 Ice Wizard (then level 6) and fixed the "range bug" and decreased the Ice Wizard's range to 5.5 (from 6) but his effective range is unchanged. Also, this update changed his description. It used to read, "This chill caster hails from the far North. He shoots ice shards at enemies, slowing down their movement and attack speed."
- On 24/8/16, a Balance Update decreased the Ice Wizard's hitpoints by 5%.
- On 11/8/17, a Balance Update increased the Ice Wizard's damage by 10% and decreased his hit speed to 1.7 seconds (from 1.5 seconds).
- The 20/6/18 Update moved the Arena to unlock the Ice Wizard from Spell Valley (Arena 5) to Frozen Peak (Arena 8).
- On 1/10/18, a Balance Update increased the Ice Wizard's slowdown duration to 2.5 seconds (from 2 seconds). This card won the vote for the 8th card of the balance update.
- On 3/12/18, a Balance Update decreased the Ice Wizard’s hitpoints by 11% but also increased his damage by 10%.
- On 7/6/21, a Balance Update decreased the Ice Wizard's hitpoints by 3%.
- On 10/6/21, a maintenance break decreased the Ice Wizard's hitpoints by 0.1%. An equal level Ice Wizard will now be one-shot by an equal level Fireball.
- On 27/10/21, the 2021 Quarter 3 Update added the level 14 Ice Wizard.
- The Ice Wizard was one of the first legendary cards to be added to the game. It was released alongside the Princess.
- When the Ice Wizard is deployed, a small pile of snow is left behind him before he starts to move.
- When the Ice Wizard slows an enemy, a pile of snow will fall off the target, and the enemy also leaves a trail of snow when it walks.
- His description incorrectly states his type of mustache as handlebar; based on his appearance both on the card and in-game, it appears to be a horseshoe mustache.
- Despite being able to shoot ice shards, the Ice Wizard cannot reset the Inferno Tower and the Inferno Dragon's damage. He can only slow down their hit speed.
- When deployed or when attacking, the Ice Wizard shouts spells or battle cries, such as "Lunta!" "Kylmä!", "Pakastaa!", "Jäädy!", "Jää!", "Jäätykää!" or "Täältä pesee!" He actually speaks Finnish, and nearly all his words refer to icy things, for example, "Snow!", "Cold!", "Freeze!", "Turn to ice!", "Ice!", "You turn to ice!" or "Here it comes!" His cousins, the Wizard and the Electro Wizard, do something similar, but they say fiery and electrical things in English instead.
- The Ice Wizard is the Wizard-related card to have lower price, damage, and hitpoints.
- Despite being able to attack with and control ice, the Ice Wizard is not immune to the Freeze spell, Ice Spirits, opposing Ice Wizards, or an opposing Ice Golem's death damage. Two Ice Wizards attacking each other can result in one of the slowest duels in the game.
- The Ice Wizard is one of the nine troop cards that inspired a troop in Clash of Clans, along with the Miner, the Baby Dragon, the Night Witch, the Bomber, the Skeleton Barrel, the Battle Ram, the Giant Skeleton, and the Ice Golem. It is also the first one of them that was added as a temporary troop.
- It is the subject of one of the two Christmas Emotes, the other being the Ice Spirit.
- The word "Legendary" in the description in Clash of Clans could refer to the Legendary rarity of the Clash Royale Ice Wizard. However, the word "Legendary" doesn't appear in the Clash of Clans Miner's, Lava Hound's or Night Witch's description.