The Freeze card is unlocked from the Frozen Peak (Arena 8). It is a spell that prevents all enemy units and buildings inside its radius (that are present when it is placed) from moving or attacking. It also deals a small amount of damage. The Freeze card costs 4 Elixir to cast.
- The Freeze is most effective when it is timed to freeze enemy units right before one or more of the player's units is defeated. If the player has not yet revealed the Freeze spell to their opponent, it can turn what may have seemed like a clean defense from the opponent into massive damage for the Freeze user.
- While the Freeze can be deadly, it comes with a high risk. Due to the one second delay before a card is placed, it is easy to mistime and cast it after either the player's troops or the opponent's troops are already defeated, resulting in a waste of four Elixir. This will leave the player very vulnerable to a counterattack.
- The Freeze card can be effectively used in combination with Balloons to deal immense damage to buildings and Crown Towers. The Freeze should be cast once the Balloon approaches the Crown Tower, disabling the enemy tower and also any troops deployed to defend it.
- If a troop which spawns other units after death is defeated while frozen, such as an Elixir Golem or a Night Witch, the spawned troops will remain frozen until the duration of the Freeze ends. This does not apply to troops with a staggered deploy after death, like the Spear Goblins from the Goblin Giant or the Battle Ram's Barbarians, making Freeze less effective against them.
- Any lifetimers of frozen buildings will still count down while frozen. This can be useful against the Elixir Collector and spawner buildings, though it is usually not a valuable play unless other units are near the building and if the player is currently attacking in the same lane as the building.
- If a frozen troop is Cloned, the clone won't be frozen. This can be used to surprise an opponent and get the drop on an undefended Crown Tower.
- The Freeze card pairs very well with Graveyard. Where normally a Graveyard push requires a tank to be effective, a Graveyard Freeze combo functions similarly without requiring a tank. This also disables any ground splashers and swarm deployed to stop the Graveyard, giving the spawned Skeletons plenty of time to take them out, thus weakening their counter push significantly. Bear in mind that a Poison spell will ruin this combo for 4 Elixir, so the Poison should be baited out before performing this combo.
- Do not Freeze the opponent's King's Tower if it is not activated; the Tower will activate.
- Freeze is effective at stopping Inferno Towers since it can reset their damage ramp-up and disable them for a few seconds.
- Although situational, it can be used defensively to help stop incoming troops such as the P.E.K.K.A., which can be devastating if it reaches an Arena Tower. It is also good at simply stalling troops when both the player and the opponent's tower are getting destroyed for the win, granting the edge to the player.
- The Freeze's radius is big enough to affect two towers at once. The player can use this to their advantage if they have already destroyed one Crown Tower. When their troops come to destroy another, they can cast the Freeze in between the two Towers, disabling both of them.
- Defensively, Freeze + Valkyrie is a very deadly combo. With the Valkyrie's moderately high splash damage, the player can Freeze the support troops behind a tank (Musketeer, Wizard, Ice Wizard, Archers, etc.) then use the Valkyrie to wipe them out.
- Freeze was released with Clash Royale's soft launch on 4/1/16.
- On 2/2/16, the February 2016 Update decreased the Freeze's radius to 3 (from 4) and the duration would increase 0.3 seconds per level (from 0.4 seconds).
- On 18/5/16, a Balance Update decreased the Freeze's duration by 1 second.
- On 4/7/16, the Tournaments Update allowed it to freeze the production from the Elixir Collector.
- The 20/6/18 Update moved the Arena to unlock the Freeze from P.E.K.K.A's Playhouse (Arena 4) to Spell Valley (Arena 5).
- On 5/12/18, a Balance Update set the Freeze's duration to 5 seconds for every level and made the spell deal area damage.
- On 7/1/19, a Balance Update reduced the Freeze's Crown Tower damage by 65%, to be consistent with all other damaging spells.
- On 28/1/19, the January 2019 Update moved the Arena to unlock the Freeze from Spell Valley (Arena 5) to Frozen Peak (Arena 8).
- On 4/2/19, a Balance Update decreased the Freeze's duration to 4 seconds (from 5) and decreased its damage by 6%.
- On 4/8/20, a Balance Update decreased the Freeze's Crown Tower damage from 35% to 30% of the full damage.
- The Freeze has the exact same characteristics as its Clash of Clans counterpart.
- Troops frozen by the Freeze will remain frozen even if they are pushed out of the Freeze's radius.
- When the Freeze spell has been cast, a pale circle marking its radius will appear, with some snow on the border. The circle line outside the radius will be blue/red, depending on which side the player is on.
- It is one of only five Elixir spells from Clash of Clans to also be in Clash Royale, the others being the Lightning, Rage, Earthquake and Clone.