Emotes are the only form of communication in battle or spectating. Players can edit an Emote deck by clicking on the “Personalize” button next to the “Battle Deck” button in the Cards section of the main menu. Up to 8 Emotes can be included, and these Emotes will be the most immediately accessible out of the player's collection during a battle.
Emotes can be accessed by tapping the chat bubble at the bottom left hand side of the player's screen when playing or when spectating a battle. Emotes not included in the player's Emote deck can still be accessed via a white arrow on the right hand side of the screen. When used by an in-game player, an Emote will make one sound along with a short animation that will last for a few seconds; when used by a spectator, a smaller Emote will appear on a side but without the sound.
Players can also send Emotes to their Clan by tapping the smiley face bubble next to the chat bubble. Clan mates can hear the sound and see the animation of the Emote sent by tapping on it.
When first starting the game, players get access to the 4 king Emotes. Over time, additional options have become available to players, like different Emote packs that contain Emotes along with resources and Tokens which can be purchased in the Shop for real money. The Shop also has an "Emotes" section where 3 random, non-Legendary Emotes appear daily and can be bought for 250 Gems each. Some Emotes can only be obtained through Special Challenges, within Pass Royale rewards, or via other events. Certain non-Legendary Emotes are exclusive for a limited time upon release, meaning they will not appear in the Shop's "Emotes" section until the specified period of time has passed.
“L” indicates that the Emote is Legendary and will never appear in the Shop's "Emotes" section for purchase.
- The 19/9/16 Update added the function to mute Emotes during battle.
- The 20/6/18 Update started adding new Emotes to the game, purchasable in the Shop.
- The 5/9/18 Update added the function to use Emotes in Clan chat.
- Since 19/11/18, free CRL Emotes became available to any player that created a Fantasy Royale team from the News section of the game. After creating a team, the Emotes would be added to the player's account within a few hours.
- On 1/12/18, by linking your Supercell ID with your YouTube account during the CRL finals 2018, you would obtain an exclusive Goblin Emote.
- On 5/12/18, an update added the ability to buy single Emotes for 250 gems from the Shop, with three different Emotes being available each day. Also, players who had previously earned at least 1 Legend Trophies were given an exclusive Royal Ghost Emote.
- Since the weekend of 29/12/18, some Emotes become available through Special Event Challenge.
- Since 2/3/19 and during Clash Royale's anniversaries, some Emotes could be obtained by participating in a tournament created by a YouTube content creator selected by Supercell.
- Since 13/4/19, exclusive Emotes are displayed together with a Legendary aura.
- Starting from the 1/7/19 Update, some Emotes become available through Pass Royale rewards.
- Since the 30/9/19 Update by linking your Clash Royale profile with your Supercell ID, one exclusive Hay Day chicken Emote is unlocked.
- Since 20/1/20, finishing in the top 100 in a Global Tournament now awards an exclusive King Emote.