Cards are the only method of deploying troops, spells, and buildings onto the battlefield. Deploying cards costs Elixir, which is gradually gained during battle. Cards are primarily obtained through buying them with Gold or Gems in the Shop, or through finding them in Chests. Cards can also be received through trading or through clan members fulfilling requests. Duplicate cards obtained will fill up an upgrade meter. Once the meter is full, you can upgrade the card with Gold. All health and damage statistics are increased by roughly 10% per level. Cards that are able to spawn troops, such as the Goblin Hut and Graveyard, will have their spawned troop level increased by 1 per level.
Types of Cards
There are three main types of cards: troops, spells, and buildings. Generally, spells are temporary and can be cast anywhere in the battlefield (with the exception of The Log, Barbarian Barrel, and Royal Delivery), while buildings (which are stationary and decay over time) and troops (which can move) can only be spawned on the player's territory (with the exception of the Miner and Goblin Drill). There are also 5 card rarities: Common (signified by grey or pale blue), Rare (signified by orange), Epic (signified by purple), Legendary (signified by a rainbow gradient) and Champion (signified by a bright yellow). Each rarity has a different number of levels.
- Common cards have 14 different levels, ranging from level 1 to level 14.
- Rare cards have 12 different levels, ranging from level 3 to level 14.
- Epic cards have 9 different levels, ranging from level 6 to level 14.
- Legendary cards have 6 different levels, ranging from level 9 to level 14.
- Champion cards have 4 different levels, ranging from level 11 to level 14.
Champion cards share functions which are unique to their rarity.
- All Champion cards are troops, and when they are deployed, an ability icon will appear at the righthand side of the player's screen. At any time, the player can tap the icon in order to activate their Champion's unique ability. Activating an ability costs a certain amount of Elixir. The abilities adhere to the server's 1 second deployment delay. After the ability's duration concludes, the abilities will go on a cooldown, which prevents them from being used for some time. The cooldown will instantly reset if the player's Champion dies.
- Additionally, Champions do not adhere to the regular card cycle rules. While the player's Champion is present on the arena, the Champion's card will be kept out from the cycle until the Champion dies. Thus, it is impossible for there to be more than 1 player-aligned Champion to be active at any time. Once the Champion dies, the Champion will be added back to the card cycle. They will return to the player's hand after 3 cards are played.
- Only 1 Champion card can be present in a deck at any time.
- Champions are "immune" to Mirror. If the player's last played card was a Champion, the Mirror will ignore it and repeat the card played before the Champion card.
- Cloned Champions cannot use abilities. Activating an ability while a cloned Champion is on the arena will only trigger it for the original troop.
Each troop and defensive building in Clash Royale has a range, specified in tiles.
- Cards that have a range of 0.8 tiles or less are classified as "Melee: Short". Should a card have less than 0.8 tiles of range, the table below will specify the exact numbers.
- Cards that have a range of 1.2 tiles are classified as "Melee: Medium".
- Cards that have a range of 1.6 tiles are classified as "Melee: Long".
- Cards with a range of 2 or more tiles are simply classified as being ranged.
Click a column header to sort a table. Note: the levels of the cards in the tables below are currently those of the Tournament Standard Rules (11).
||Hit Speed (seconds)
||Damage per Second
|Balloon||5||1,680||640||2||320||240 (Death)||0.1 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Bandit||3||907||193||1||193||0||0.75 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Barbarians||5||670||192||1.4||137||0||0.7 (Melee: Short)||5|
|Bats||2||81||81||1.3||62||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||5|
|Battle Healer||4||1,717||148||1.5||98||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||1|
|Battle Ram||4||911||286||N/A||N/A||0||0.5 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Cannon Cart||5||892 (+892)||212||1||212||0||5.5||1|
|Cursed Hog||N/A||520||44||1.2||36||0||0.75 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Dark Prince||4||1,200 (+240)||248||1.3||190||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Electro Dragon||5||950||192 (x3)||2.1||91 (x3)||0||3.5||1|
|Electro Giant||7||3,536||163||2.1||77||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Electro Wizard||4||713||110(x2)||1.8||122||192 (Spawn)||5||1|
|Elite Barbarians||6||1,341||384||1.4||274||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||2|
|Elixir Blob||N/A||360||63||1.3||48||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)||4|
|Elixir Golem||3||1,441||254||1.3||195||0||0.75 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Elixir Golemite||N/A||720||127||1.3||98||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)||2|
|Executioner||5||1,280||169 (x2)||2.4||141||0||4.5 (Projectile 6.5)||1|
|Firecracker||3||367||77 (x5)||3||128||0||6 (Projectile ~3)||1|
|Fisherman||3||871||193||1.3||148||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)/7||1|
|Giant||5||4091||254||1.5||169||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Giant Skeleton||6||3,600||267||1.4||191||534 (Death, x2 to towers)||0.8 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Goblin Brawler||4||853||279||1.1||240||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Goblin Gang||3||202/133||120/81||1.1/1.7||109/48||0/0||0.5 (Melee: Short)/5||3/2|
|Goblin Giant||6||3,147||176||1.5||117||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Goblins||2||202||120||1.1||109||0||0.5 (Melee: Short)||3|
|Golden Knight||4||2,000||160||0.9||177||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Golem||8||5,120||312||2.5||124||224 (Death)||0.75 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Golemite||N/A||1,040||49||2.5||19.6||99 (Death)||0.25 (Melee: Short)||2|
|Guards||3||81 (+240)||121||1||121||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||3|
|Hog Rider||4||1,696||318||1.6||198||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Ice Golem||2||1197||84||2.5||33||84 (Death)||0.75 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Ice Wizard||3||688||90||1.7||53||84 (Spawn)||5.5||1|
|Knight||3||1666||202||1.2||168||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Lava Pup||N/A||216||90||1.7||53||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||6|
|Lumberjack||4||1,282||242||0.8||302||0||0.7 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Magic Archer||4||440||111||1.1||100||0||7 (Projectile 11)||1|
|Mega Knight||7||3,993||268||1.7||157||429 (Spawn)||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Mega Minion||3||837||311||1.6||194||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||1|
|Miner||3||1,210||193(58)||1.2||160 (48 to Towers)||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Mini P.E.K.K.A.||4||1,361||720||1.8||450||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Minions||3||230||102||1||102||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||3|
|Night Witch||4||907||314||1.5||209||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||1|
|P.E.K.K.A.||7||3,760||816||1.8||453||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Prince||5||1,920||392||1.4||280||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||1|
|Ram Rider||5||1,767||266/104||1.8/1.1||148/95||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)/5.5||1|
|Rascal Boy||5||1,830||133||1.5||89||0||0.8 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Royal Ghost||3||1,210||261||1.8||145||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Royal Hogs||5||837||74||1.2||61||0||0.7 (Melee: Short)||4|
|Royal Recruits||7||532 (+240)||133||1.3||102||0||1.6 (Melee: Long)||6|
|Skeletons||1||81||81||1||81||0||0.5 (Melee: Short)||3|
|Skeleton Barrel||3||532||133||N/A||N/A||133 (Death)||0.35 (Melee: Short)||1|
|Skeleton King||4||2,300||205||1.6||128||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Valkyrie||4||1,908||267||1.6||178||0||1.2 (Melee: Medium)||1|
|Wall Breakers||2||331||392||N/A||N/A||0||0.5 (Melee: Short)||2|
||Damage per Second
|Cannon Cart (unshielded)||5||742||30||176||0.9||195||5.5|
||Crown Tower Damage
|Arrows||3||122 x3||37 x3||4|
|Barbarian Barrel||2||241||N/A||5 Range, 2.6 Width|
|Earthquake||3||82 x3 (287 to Buildings)||54 x3||3.5|
|Poison||4||91 x8||28 x8||3.5|
|The Log||2||290||87||10.1 Range, 3.9 Width|
|Barbarian Barrel||Spell||2||Barbarians||Upon breaking||1|
|Barbarian Hut||Building||7||Barbarians||2 Every 11 seconds and 2 upon death||10|
|Battle Ram||Troop||4||Barbarians||Upon breaking or death||2|
|Furnace||Building||4||Fire Spirits||Every 6 seconds and 1 upon death||6[confirmation needed]|
|Goblin Barrel||Spell||3||Goblins||Upon impact||3|
|Goblin Cage||Building||4||Goblin Brawler||Upon death||1|
|Goblin Drill||Building||4||Goblins||Every 3 seconds and 2 upon death||5|
|Goblin Giant||Troop||6||Spear Goblins||Upon death||2|
|Goblin Hut||Building||5||Spear Goblins||Every 4 seconds and 3 upon death||10|
|Graveyard||Spell||5||Skeletons||Every 0.5 seconds||16|
|Lava Hound||Troop||7||Lava Pups||Upon death||6|
|Night Witch||Troop||4||Bats||Every 5 seconds||N/A|
|Skeleton Barrel||Troop||3||Skeletons||Upon death||7|
|Tombstone||Building||3||Skeletons||2 Every 4 seconds and 4 upon death||18|
|Witch||Troop||5||Skeletons||4 Every 7 seconds||N/A|
|Royal Delivery||Spell||3||Royal Recruits||Upon breaking||1|
Please note that some cards have been omitted from these tables due to their unique abilities that would make it difficult to compare them to other cards.
- The 4/1/16 soft launch originally had 42 cards, with 14 Common cards, 14 Rare cards and 14 Epic cards.
- On 2/2/16, the February 2016 Update added level caps for Friendly Battles and Tournaments: King's Tower and Crown Towers - 8; Common - 8; Rare - 6; Epic - 3
- On 29/2/16, the March 2016 Update added the Legendary rarity which was capped at level 1 in Friendly Battles. The update also added six new cards immediately. They are Royal Giant, Three Musketeers, Dark Prince, Poison, Ice Wizard, and Princess.
- On 3/5/16, the May 2016 Update added six new cards immediately. They are Fire Spirit(s), Furnace, Guards, Lava Hound, Miner, and Sparky.
- The update also changed the maximum levels for King's Tower and Cards: King's Tower: 13 (from 12); Common - 13 (from 12); Rare - 11 (from 10); Epic - 8 (unchanged); Legendary - 5 (from 6).
- This means that there are new level caps for friendly battles and Tournaments: King's Tower - 9 (from 8); Common - 9 (from 8); Rare - 7 (from 6); Epic - 4 (from 3); Legendary - 1 (unchanged).
- All the players that had already collected their Epics or Legendaries past the post-upgrade cap received Gem refunds for every card over the cap.
- On 4/7/16, the Tournaments Update added four new cards immediately. They are Ice Spirit, Bowler, The Log, and Lumberjack.
- On 19/9/16, the September 2016 Update added four new cards over time. They are Mega Minion, Inferno Dragon, Ice Golem, and Graveyard. Supercell stated their intention to release one new card every two weeks following these additions.
- On 1/11/16, the November 2016 Update added four new cards over time. They are Tornado, Elite Barbarians, Clone, and Electro Wizard.
- On 15/12/16, the December 2016 Update added four new cards over time. They are Dart Goblin, Executioner, Battle Ram, and Goblin Gang.
- On 13/5/17, the March 2017 Update added four new cards over time. They are Bandit, Heal, Night Witch, and Bats. After this set of cards was announced, Supercell announced that it would no longer follow the two-week release scheme that was in place from September 2016.
- On 12/6/17, June 2017 Update added four new cards over time. They are Cannon Cart, Mega Knight, Flying Machine, and Skeleton Barrel.
- On 12/12/17, the Electrifying Update added two new cards immediately. They are Hunter and Zappies. The update also added three new cards over time. They are Royal Ghost, Magic Archer, and Barbarian Barrel.
- On 25/4/18, the April 2018 Update added one new card over time. It is Rascals.
- On 20/6/18, the Summer Update added two new cards immediately, they are the Royal Hogs and Giant Snowball. The update also added Royal Recruits over time.
- On 3/9/18, a Balance Update increased the number of cards players can hold after maxing it out (or collecting enough to max it out) in anticipation of the Trade Tokens that will be added with the following September update.
- On 5/9/18, the September 2018 Update added the Goblin Giant card immediately. The update also changed how cards' levels were numbered, such that all cards of equal level have similar levels of strength: Rares, Epics and Legendaries are now unlocked at level 3, 6 and 9 respectively, and all three max out at level 13 just like Common cards.
- On 9/11/18, the Electro Dragon was added to the game. However, players could use the Electro Dragon as early as October 27th by completing the Electro Dragon Challenge.
- On 25/12/18, the Ram Rider was added to the game.
- On 26/2/19, the Wall Breakers were added to the game.
- On 15/4/19, the Earthquake spell was added to the game.
- On 3/6/19, the Goblin Cage was added to the game.
- On 5/8/19, the Fisherman card was added to the game. However, a Fisherman Draft challenge began July 4 so people could try it out.
- On 3/11/19, the Elixir Golem card was added to the game. However, an Elixir Golem challenge began after 3 days of the start of Season 4 so people could earn the card.
- On 6/1/20, the Battle Healer was added to the game.
- On 3/2/20, the Firecracker was added to the game. It was first available on January 6, 2020 in a challenge and via the Trophy Road rewards.
- On 2/4/20, the Heal Spirit was added to the game. It replaced Heal.
- On 6/4/20, the Royal Delivery spell was added to the game.
- On 5/6/20, the Skeleton Dragons were added to the game.
- On 2/11/20, the Electro Spirit and the Electro Giant were added to the game.
- On 7/12/20, the Mother Witch was added to the game.
- On 11/7/21, the Goblin Drill was added to the game.
- On 27/10/21, the Champion rarity was added to the game, as well as 3 new Champion cards: the Golden Knight, Archer Queen and the Skeleton King.
- The update also changed the maximum levels for King's Tower and cards to level 14 (from 13).
- This also changed the level cap for Friendly Battles and Tournaments to level 11 (from 9).
- All the players that had already collected their cards past level 11 received some card refunds, for every card at that level, depending on the card rarity and level.
- On 29/3/22, the Champion card Mighty Miner was added to the game.
- The chest you get is based on the Arena in which you battle in, not your current one. You will always fight in the higher arena (Example: if a player from Arena 5 is matched with a player from Arena 4, then they will fight in Spell Valley, which is Arena 5). This means that you can get cards from an Arena that you have not reached yet.
- Epics can only be requested once every Sunday; Legendary and Champion Cards cannot be donated or requested.
- If your card has reached the max level, each card received will give you a certain amount of Gold. This also holds true if you have enough cards to upgrade to the max level but haven't upgraded it yet. For example, when the upgrade meter of a level 14 Common card reaches "5000/5000", each additional card will be converted to 5 Gold.
- In the Japanese language setting, Epic Cards are called Super Rare Cards while Legendary Cards are called Ultra Rare Cards, the terms often used in card collection games. In the Korean language setting, Epic Cards are called Heroic Cards.
||Number of Cards Required for Upgrade^|
||Gold Required for Upgrade|
||XP Gained from Upgrade|
^ The Total count of cards includes the Unlock cards as they can be used to upgrade a card to the next level. You can even donate or trade away the only non-Legendary or Champion card to unlock it and still be able to use the card at the lowest level.